January 23, 2011 - Dee Tucker, Senior Warden

Epiphany 3
Isaiah 9:1 -4 Psalm 27:1, 5- 13 I Corinthians 1:10 – 18 Matthew 4:12 – 23

Good morning, I am serving this year as Senior Warden for the Messiah vestry. If you are visiting today, that is like the President of the Board. As in all Episcopal parishes, the Vestry is the elected governing body of the parish. In addition to the Rector, the Vestry is composed of the senior and junior wardens and ten other members who oversee the work of the church. It is my joy to stand before you today in that capacity.

Today we heard in Isaiah, “the people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; those who lived in a land of deep darkness –on them light has shined.’ The passage is repeated in Matthew. What is the background of this passage that invites us to rise and shine? The Jews had just come back to the Promised Land, back to Jerusalem, back to their old farms and houses after many decades in exile. What were the peoples’ feelings? Most likely, they were depressed. When they came back to Israel their farms were rubble, their cities were rubble, their businesses were rubble, their sons had been killed, their husbands eliminated. And everybody was depressed.
Into that depressing situation of the aftermath of war, the prophet Isaiah wrote: “Those of you who walk in darkness, Rise. Shine. Get up. Get going. Your light has already come. God’s light is already shining upon you.” He said, “Lift up your heads.” I love that line. Those of you, who have your chins down, lift them up. Those of you, who have closed your eyes, open them up. Those of you, who are wallowing in depression, wake up and get up. Your light has already come.
These uplifting words were not written during the time of Father Abraham who had all those wives, all those concubines, all those kids, all that cattle, and all those sheep. Things were going well for Father Abraham, and so he heard the words, “Rise, shine, get up and get going and it will get ever better for you.” No. Nor were these words written during the time of King David who was a military hero. “Rise and shine David, and you will win even more military battles.” Nor were these words spoken to King Solomon who had more riches and wealth than the world had ever seen. “Rise, shine, Solomon, and you will get even richer.”
No. These words were written to people who were very depressed by what life had given them. These words were for people who felt like quitting, who felt like giving up, who felt like tossing in the towel.
All people in the world go through periods of depression. There are no exceptions. I remember the Charlie Brown cartoon where Charlie put out the sign that said, “Psychiatrist, 5 cents.” Lucy came to see Charlie, paid him five cents, and said she was depressed. She said to Charlie, “I want to go from an up to an upper up, from an upper up to an uppity upper up.” Lucy wanted life to always go up, but life is never like that for very long. Life goes up and down and down and up. We all have ups and downs, and when the world is down for us and very difficult, approaching depression or having crossed that line, we hear the words of Isaiah, “Rise, shine. Your light has already come. God’s glorious presence is already shining above you.”
You may be so depressed that say to God, “I don’t feel like getting up. I don’t feel like rising. I don’t feel like going.” I have been there – In 1992 my husband left our 20 year marriage…and I was hurt, sad, angry, then sunk into depression…sitting at home on the couch having great ‘pity’ parties. I went to church with my parents during that time and heard the pastor say, ‘give to God and much will be given to you.’ I had to leave the service and go outside – and rail at God, ‘I have given all my life…is this what I get?’ One day sitting on my couch I felt God puts his hands under my arms and start lifting me up. He said, Dee there is a park across the street – you need to take a walk. Rise. Shine.
What does it mean when God says, “Rise. Shine. Your light has already come. The glory of God is already shining above you?”
The most obvious is that God’s spark is already in you. When you were created God put his divine light into you. The light is the source of energy. You wouldn’t have energy without the sun. Energy comes from that light. Spiritual and emotional energy comes from the Son as well, the Son of God. The very light that is inside of you, helping you to stand up is the same light that is above you, giving you energy. And so you have the energy of God inside of you and the energy of God above you, for God is light and light is energy.
To all of us this day and the rest of the days of our lives, God says, “Rise. Shine. Your light has already come. My light lives within you. My light is above you. My light is guidance. My light is energy. Get up. Get going. Your light has already come.”
In the fall of 2009, Father Brad asked me to lunch and you know, he asked me to return to vestry. I had served a three year term with one year off as required by the By-Laws of this parish. I said yes. He went on to say I would you to be Senior Warden. I was surprised as I can give Father Brad a ‘hard time’….I thought about it, prayed about it and asked later, ‘are you thinking of retiring?’ Of course, the answer was ‘yes, he said, and he went on to say – and you are the person that can do this work, Dee.’ And you know, I think he was right! Hannah said to me recently, “I’ve noticed your extraordinary leadership skills, Dee. Where did you learn those?’ The answer – my mother would have told you – ‘she came out of the womb bossing everyone around.’ What I do believe now is that every experience of my life has led me to this place and this task. Yes, I believe God led me to this place, to do this work, at this time. My job is right down the street – the chancellor of the colleges believes management must be working for the betterment of the community – because we are a community college. When the task began it was hard, ‘all I could do was pray, God, give me grace, this is hard. God give me grace this is hard.’ And amazingly I am a better person each day – my faith is deeper, I am praying in a different way – for open heart and mind. I am listening to you, to the Bishop’s office and to the Holy Spirit.
Yes, we, Messiah, members of this parish, are in this time of transition with coming loss of Father Brad. Many of us are feeling sad and anxious about the future. To you it may seem like nothing is happening – yet, your vestry has been working diligently on the transition work. We have learned that this is primarily a spiritual process. It is a prime time for renewal in the congregation. It is a time when new leadership comes forth and new connections are made with the bishop and the wider diocesan community. We know it is a time to review and restate the hopes and dreams of the parish. This can not happen overnight…patience, openness and prayer are needed. The profile committee will complete their work in the spring. The compensation committee is developing the salary package that will be used when a new rector is called. The Search/Discernment committee will begin their work in late spring. On October 2 this year, we will have a grand celebration of Father Brad’s work here in this place. I encourage you to celebrate with him in the coming months whenever and how ever you choose. On October 3rd, an interim begin working with us. The vestry is in negotiation with someone and will soon be able to share more. In order for messiah to live beyond Father Brad it must live without Father Brad. Together we must Rise. Shine. Share the light with each other and our community.
Roger comes to tend to our gardens – ahhhh light of God!
Stephanie Miller plans each Sunday’s lessons guiding the volunteers that teach our children – light of God! Gene Dery faithfully leads the ushers every single month – light of God! Brian Kelley comes each Wednesday morning to pray for others – light of God! Jean Hollingshead washes and irons the altar linens – light of God! When you go downstairs in a few minutes you will see the light of God setting the tables, serving the food!
Where are you using your light here in this place? Rise. Shine. For your light has come. I grew up in a southern Baptist church – and we sang a lot – loud and passionately:
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
This little light of mine,
I'm gonna let it shine
Let it shine,
Let it shine,
Let it shine.

All God’s light filled people said AMEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment