Food: Life-Sustaining or Life-Defining?

Chai Tea and designer coffees.
Locally grown.
Organic produce.
Free range…
Whole Foods and Mothers’ Market…

These words have become a part of our vocabulary – that is, a part of middle class, food-conscious-speak.  But, as Newsweek pointed out in a recent issue (Nov. 29, 2010),  “What you eat for dinner has become the definitive marker of social status.”  It’s easy to become self-righteous and dismiss off-hand people who don’t eat as we do as being ignorant, “irresponsible” for their carbon footprint, or “deserving” of the obesity epidemic we see in our culture.  Yet, while we worry about the what’s and how’s of what appears on our table, there are many people living not so very far from us who are what is termed “food insecure” and worry about whether there will be any food to get to the table.

More than three million Californians eat meals wholly or partially funded by food stamps, and it is estimated than at least another three million would qualify for food stamps, but for one reason or another don’t receive them.  Although the food stamp program operates on a “sliding scale,” with the expectation that people are able to supplement their food budget with their own income, for many that is simply not the case, and they are forced to live on what their food stamp allotment will provide.

Thinking about that “great divide” created by food-as-consumer-product vs. food as sustenance, and the ever-increasing popularity of reality shows about food, has started me thinking about food as a spiritual issue:  what does our relationship with food tell us about ourselves?  Our relationships with others?  With God?

So this year, at Messiah, I am proposing a challenge:  rather than giving up something like chocolate or wine during Lent, I am suggesting that we agree to eat as though we were on food stamps; that is, restricting our total food-spending per month to a formula used by the government ($200/mo. for one person; $367 for two, etc.)

Lent is another month away – Ash Wednesday is March 8 this year – so you have some time to prayerfully consider what we are asking.   Obviously, we want to support you in this endeavor should you choose to accept the challenge – AND we are interested in your struggles, your successes and your failures, what you found easy – and what you found difficult.  So – we will be providing everyone who signs up with a packet of information which hopefully you will find useful; we have reserved the Bride’s Room at 9 a.m. for Sundays during Lent for people to meet informally to support one another; and, we are asking our wonderful technology experts to set up a blog where people can share their experiences/frustrations/insights/questions/etc.  (I’m anticipating that one of the more difficult challenges (at least for me) will be social – how do you go out to lunch or dinner with friends if your total food budget is $200/mo.?  Or monotony.  On the other hand, there are also implications for “withdrawals” from addictions to the morning latte – or bottled water!)

We also understand that the whole idea of undertaking this challenge for 40 days may be a bit overwhelming (or impossible, if you were having to travel for business, for example), so we are offering the opportunity to sign up in one-week increments, hoping to get as much participation (if only on a limited basis) as possible.

Have you considered your relationship to food recently?  What assumptions do you make about it?  Is it life-sustaining – or life-defining?  Will you consider taking our “Lenten Food Challenge” this year?

6 comments:

  1. Yikes! This challenge really scares (and humbles!) me! I'm already struggling with NOT stockpiling food ahead of time... It has also already made me VERY aware of my food purchases, however.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do I empty my cupboards now in preparation? WHAT will I do when I'm driving my kids around and we're all hungry and the snacks I've packed aren't doing it? Fast food is SO convenient! And so expensive and not terribly healthy. FYI - treaure box also has a program like angel food. Anyone know of a red-meat free food assistance program? Or, do you want to swap my red for your white (not pork!)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, today's the day we begin. I have allowed my larder to become relatively bare so that I don't have reserves to rely on. I will, however, savor the last of my Peet's coffee, then switch to tea bags. I've taken out cash and put it in separate envelopes, each containing $50. It seems a pitifully small amount for the week. I'm going to assume that I wouldn't have much money for gas - or might not even have a car - so will try to use public transporation - or walk - to obtain my food. Luckily, I'm old, so get the senior discount on Long Beach buses. It's going to be an interesting few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about going to Costco today (I checked and they do take food stamps now), where I normally buy, at great savings, my large cartons of cottage cheese and yogurt - my main sources of protein. But then I wondered if a person on food stamps would be able to afford the membership fee. And then I imagined dragging that heavy stuff home on the bus.
    This challenge really makes me put things in a new perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I am probably more broke than I have ever been before, & this situation is ongoing. Still, my needs are met, and I can pay rent, so I am grateful. I have had to be on foodstamps for a few years now. So here's some practical advice: The asian markets and the mexican markets like Northgate have the best deal on fresh fruits and veggies. Also, I get just about everything on sale. Vons has the best tuna(& I am very picky about tuna fish). Their brand of solid albacore was on sale for $1 a can last week, so I picked up ten cans. By managing carefully, I can eat healthy food, & even am able to share with others. Also, the doctors at Venice Family Clinic in Santa Monica told me that Centrum is the best vitamin--even better than the pricy ones you can buy at health food stores. Also, 1,000 milligrams of C a day keeps me from catching whatever is going around, & I live in a group home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the earlier posts and yes, I take the bus. I have a roll bag, and that's how I carry my groceries home if I buy more than a few items. I got my roll bag at the goodwill for $7, and it's a good one. Ross also has good deals on bags. Sorry it took so long to post, but I have been wanting to share since I already do have foodstamps. A friend who is a holistic doctor told me that beans are one of the healthiest foods you can eat. With rice, if you want a complete protein. My daughter made a can of beans taste homemade by doctoring it up w/sauteed onions, fresh garlic, and peppers. Also, the 99 cent store has lots of good deals. After you get used to managing on a lower food budget, you may opt for using some of the skills you gain from now on, since nobody wants to throw money away. Me, I gave up meat for lent, and may continue to limit my meat intake from now on. It's just that I have a lot of info about industrial meat, & don't like to share this info people who have children to feed because they can't do anything about it and it's sad and gross.

    ReplyDelete